Thursday, March 8, 2012

Tailor Made

With the woman who made my dress

Back in New Zealand, after hiking the Routeburn track in the snow, we were huddled around a fire trying to get warm, and a fellow hiker told us about Hoi An.  She said it is the most fabulous city, charming, warm, with beautiful beaches.  She also told us that it is filled with tailors that can make any type of clothing you can imagine overnight.  At the particular moment when she told me this, it sounded like a little piece of heaven!

Every word she told us was true.  Hoi An is a quaint little town, and there are hundreds of tailors at every corner who can make suits, jackets, dresses, skirts, and shorts.  There also are lots of cobblers making shoes and purses.  But it wasn't long before I became a bit overwhelmed by all of this.  Between choosing a design, a fabric, and working out of all of the details, I realized that designing clothes is for the pros.  I also realized that the artistic section of my brain is a bit lacking!

After getting a dress started for me and a shirt for David on our first afternoon, we were exhausted and decided it was time for a $0.20 beer instead of another tailor.  I did manage to get two more things made, a purse and a pair of shorts.

The verdict:
Dress: Excellent!
Purse: Good
Shorts: Not so good

It's funny.  I came to Hoi An so excited about the tailors, but I leave having enjoyed the food, the biking, and the beach so much more.

~Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment