Wednesday, June 27, 2012

St. Basil's Then and Now

My parents visited Moscow in 1996 and came home with a great picture of St. Basil's Cathedral, which they blew up to a poster-size print.  So, I have grown up seeing St. Basil's on the wall and imagining what it would be like to visit.

Needless to say, seeing St. Basil's on our first morning in the city was really, really neat.  One of those places I have always had in my mind, and it lived up to my expectations -- the most colorful church I have ever seen!

My parents in front of St. Basil's Cathedral in 1996
Sara in front of St. Basil's Cathedral in 2012

The church doesn't seem to have changed, but we did quickly decide that there are a lot more tourists now.  Getting a picture like my parents' without tourists everywhere is virtually impossible.  Being here in the summer probably contributed to that, too.

~Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment