Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Waitomo Caves

Lunch in the dark with only glowworm light - check
Walking in water after seeing an eel (a big fear!) - check
Abseiling 60+ total meters - check


Waitomo caves

We loved Waitomo Caves!  The caves are all filled with glowworms - small slug-like creatures that attract insects by appearing as if they are stars on the cave ceiling.  The insects don't realize they are in a cave, head toward the stars to mate with other insects, and are all quickly eaten by the glowworms.  Quite an approach to eating, I'd say!  David and I took a tour through the caves with Paul, the owner and only guide of GreenGlow glowworm tours.  Such a cool day being led on three abseils and through many different parts of a cave system.  David is afraid that the highlight of the trip might have come on day 3!  I assured him that I think we will have more highlights to come.
Waitomo Caves
Waitomo Caves
Waitomo Caves

3 comments:

  1. Please tell me those pants are yours and that we will be seeing a LOT more of them in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great guys. I'm happy you're having fun. I hope they gave you those pants for abseiling and they are not part of your clothes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are not our pants - our 'abseiling costume' as they say here! Maybe I can pick David up a pair that looks just like them - they were a good look :)

    ReplyDelete